In the United States, the majority of feature length cinematic animation is 3D.
The majority of video games are in 3D. Though the bulk of animation programs
for broadcast media are 2D, more and more are being made in 3D. Many animation
programs in colleges, including SHSU, have curriculums that emphasize 3D.
With this in mind, do you think it is important to develop skills in 2D animation?
Please include first and last name in the body of each post.
Also indicate whether you are in the ARTS 2343 M-W or T-TH course.
Well of course! In my opinion 2D animation is a fundamental stepping stone into 3D animation. We do not automatically jump into walking as children we have to crawl first. 2D=crawling and 3D= walking.
ReplyDeleteAh annnd I am Ollie Moore and Mon-Wed
ReplyDeleteLearning 2D is important because it helps to build the skills used in 3D. You learn to appreciate all of the steps you don't have to worry about when using 3D. Something like a camera angle change is pretty simple in 3D , but in 2D you'd pretty much have to start over. Neither one is better than the other, 2D existed first and that's how we were able to get into 3D animation.
ReplyDeleteand yeah I'm in the Tue-Thu class
ReplyDeleteI believe working in 2d forces animators to think more carefully about what content is important to them as well as how they wish to present a scene. This is because, like Kevin said above, it is much easier to overlook things in 3d animation simply because it is generally easier to create/modify them. So, I definitely think skills in 2d animation will benefit any 3d animator.
ReplyDeleteMichael Schaer, T-TH course
It is very important to develop some solid skills in 2D animation. 2D animation is a basic and elementary form of animation and just like any other learning form you need to learn step by step. Take math for instance, if you try to take calculus you won't do to well if you haven't learned the fundamentals explained in 1st-8th grade level math. 3D animation is nothing more than that of a more advanced and "aesthetic" version of 2D animation just as calculus is a more advanced way of solving problems presented in 1st-8th grade level math.
ReplyDelete-Adrienne Mapps (M/W afternoon class)-
I believe it of course is very important to develop skills in 2D animation. To me it's like the equivalent of taking baby steps before you go and start running. You have to have some sort of foundation so you are able to branch out to bigger and or more complicated processes. Also, since I grew up with 2D animation, Disney classics and such, it will always seem an important skill just to have plain knowledge of; it is because of 2D that 3D was indirectly inspired for.
ReplyDeleteLauren Marin
T-TH course
I don't believe that 2D is the baby steps for 3D animation, you could do either independently and take "baby steps" for each art. It is excellent to have knowledge of the terms of animation and yes I think 2D is important. But in no way do I think it means baby steps to 3D, it is no lesser form of art, in no way elementary, it is just kinda different.
ReplyDelete-Rachel Jordan
T-Th class.
Yes, 2D animation is super important, especially because in my opinion it is the foundation of animation in general. Instead of narrowing your view on just 3D, as an animator I believe it is better to have a broader understanding of animation by learning 2D. It's not as if 2D is fading, it's still very much in the media today such as, flash websites and many cartoons to name a few.
ReplyDeleteKristin Gallow
T-TH course
2D animation is important. I think every animator should learn both 2D and 3D as you will have a larger skill set and be able to take each to a greater level. I think understanding them both will help you develop your animation skills as a whole.
ReplyDeleteMark McMurray
M-W 12PM Class
I certainly don't think it hurts as expanding your knowledge is always good, and 3D animation does share a lot of concepts with 2D animation. I don't believe it is necessary, though. I also don't really know enough to actually make an education decision on this matter.
ReplyDeleteAside from what I have picked up from tv and Disney (lets face it, most of us have been studying them since we were born, wether we knew it or not), I do not know much about the correlation between 2D and 3D.
ReplyDeleteBut I must say, when has it EVER not been good to develop more skills? When has anyone regretted learning? (aside from the "damn, I just spent my ramen money for a class I don't need")
So while I do not have a good grasp on 2D and 3D animation and what they have in common, if it is your major, your passion...wouldn't you want to learn everything you could about it? Would it not be a good idea to know the ins and outs of everything having to do with whatever your career is? Wouldn't it you be considered a double threat if you had a strong basis in both?
I personally, really enjoy 2D. I feel more connected, seeing old, sketchy images parading across the screen. I like to collect cels and think of the work that went into making it, and thousands more. To me, it's an ancient process that shouldn't be forgotten or cast aside.
Then again, I worship Disney.
-McAlister
MW class.
Every 3d animator should know how to do 2d animation. Without it, your work could possibly be stiff and lifeless. I believe students should learn the basics before moving on to the computer.
ReplyDeleteI also understand why people may disagree thou, all you need to be a great animator is to be a keen observer is what some may say. You may not be able to draw at all , but if you know how to animate in 3d and be able to get inside a characters head; the ability to animate your character accordinaly such as - fluttering eyes - facial expressions - then not being able to animate in 2d wont hurt you in the end.
Overall , it depends on the person.
Any animator starts out with some type of 2d animation. It will help a person gain experience and basic knowledge of the animation process. Another reason it is important to have experience in 2d animation is because not all employers will be using 3d animation software. In my experience, 2d animating in 2d software has helped me gain a greater appreciation and help me understand what animation is really about.
ReplyDeleteYes, animators should definitely have a strong foundation in 2D animation. How is somebody supposed to use advanced 3D software without knowing how to even draw (relatively) simple 2D? 2D would give an animator a good basis, somewhere to learn all the tricks to movement, characterization, etc.
ReplyDelete(Cara Wakefield; Tue/Thurs class.)
I think that the "importance" of developing skills in 2D animation is subjective. To us that have been raised around it and schooled in it's techniques, of course, think that it is very important to develop. However, I think that within a our lifetime that 2D animation will fade almost completely. It's importance is based on the the industry and amount of employing companies that use it. So for this time, where companies and employers still use 2D animation, it is important to know how to indulge their needs. Aside from that and one's own personal fancies, 2D animation is a dying art. Unfortunately for us whom enjoy it and wish to keep it alive, we will eventually have to adjust with the industry if we have any hopes of being employed.
ReplyDeleteWith that said, strictly speaking of 2D animation skills' importance in present time, learning it and being competent in the art is necessary to be a well-rounded (and employable) animator.
(Marissa Danison, M-W)
Though the majority of animation these days is done in 3D, I believe learning 2D animation is essential in becoming a successful 3D animator. Learning 2D animation provides many specific skills such as timing, movement, character expression and emphasis, and others that help transfer to 3D animation. I also believe that 2D animation is much more difficult to learn and create than 3D, so learning 2D would be pushing yourself to achieve more than you need to learn for 3D, thus making you a more dedicated, experienced, and educated animator.
ReplyDelete(Kristen Williams, Mo-We)
Well, obviously. I think everyone pretty much stated the reasons why very clearly. But I would summarize it as 2D Animation is about learning Animation were as 3D Animation is about learning the ins and outs of a particular program.
ReplyDeleteI think any form of animation is a good thing to learn. Just because 2D animation isn’t seen as the leading age of animation now, doesn’t mean it won’t be more as important later. Also, 3D animation is mostly thought to be the better animation by the media, because it’s easier to hype up. In the end, it isn’t about 2D animation versus 3D animation; it’s the character development and the story line that makes an animated film successful.
ReplyDeleteAlexandra Guerin
M/W
I definitely think at least some basic knowledge of 2D animation is needed to understand and work with 3D animation. A lot of techniques like storyboarding is used from the 2d perspective to map out storylines before companies even consider using the 3D software. 3D animation may be considered the more advanced of the two, but it wouldn't have happened if we hadn't started animation history with the first 2d cartoons and movies.
ReplyDeleteAllison DeFord
M/W
I do think 2D animation is an important concept to learn while going into 3D animation. I think ourselves as animators should explore all mediums in animation which includes 2D animation. It is important that we learn the true basics of animation first before diving into the more complex forms of animation.
ReplyDelete(Ashley DeFord, Mon/Wed)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is important to explore all facets of animation. I feel there's been a recent misconception that one does not need to be study 2D or drawing extensively to be successful in animation because "the computer dies the work for you". I think studying 2D animation techniques is essential for an animator's skill set.
ReplyDeleteKaleigh Hvizdos TTH Class, 9:30AM
Although most media are becoming focused more heavily on 3D, you would still have to know the basics of 2D in order to fully understand the mechanics of 3-dimensional space. Without knowing the fundamentals of 2-dimensional media, manipulation of lighting in 3D may not make much sense, in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteCarlo Ramos MW Class, 12:00 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePosting late...no good. Hope I don't fail...
ReplyDeletePhillip Clinton MW@12
I believe that we should know 2D animation. One must know the differences between 2D and 3D animation. Most of our video games today are played in 3D. Video games started off in 2D and eventually evolved into 3D. Some of our games use both 2D and 3D animations and planes. Capcom has games such Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, and Tatsunoko vs Capcom where the characters and stages are 3D but the fight plane is 2D where you can move left, right, up or down. I believe that is why 2D animation is still important today.
ReplyDeleteARTS 2343 T-TH Alina Ortega
ReplyDeleteI believe 2D animation is just as important as 3D animation. I think society goes more with 3D animation only because it can give more of a sense of realism. The more realistic something looks, the more someone can immerse themselves into what they are watching. For example, video games use 3D animation but they try to make the look as realistic as they can so that the player would immerse into the world of the game.
However, I still think that 2D is very important because every project starts off in 2D. Sketches and ideas even the way something should move is all done in 2D. Also, 2D animation does not really go for realism so much. From what I have experienced, 2D uses more its scenery to convey a story rather than make someone become immerse in the world.
Andrew Greenhouse
ReplyDeleteT-Th
In a world where everything repeats itself, and especially in the world of art, where bringing back the old is cool, yes, I do think its necessary. Even at this point in time, there are still strong cases to be made for 2D animation. I know for a fact that many small 2D games can sell well, and in most cases dont require as many resources. If not just for that little fact, 2D in ways is more basic than 3D. You have less dimensions and quality to deal with. It can really help you develop fundamentals before moving on to 3D